In the spotlight is Fiona Watson, Zumba® Fitness Instructor in Cheadle Hulme to find out more about her work, personal life and what she loves about Cheadle Hulme and Bramhall.
Fiona has always loved dance, finding dance and music have kept her mind and body healthy through life’s challenges. Not having the opportunity to teach the qualifications she attained in ballet, tap and jazz due to travel.
Fiona has settled in this area for many years and was at a point in her life where a lifestyle change was needed. In 2015 she was inspired and grateful to have the opportunity to become a Zumba® Fitness Instructor. She feels dancing and fitness is a fabulous outlet to keep mind and body in tune and wishes to help others to reach that same balance, she teaches at Cheadle Hulme Methodist Church.
- Name: Fiona Watson
- Born: 1960s
- Star Sign: Aquarius (and do you believe in them?) Not Really
- Occupation: Zumba® Instructor and Graphic Designer
- Company name: Zumba® Cheadle Hulme
Business and Education
- What skills do you need to work in your business?
In order to become a Zumba® Fitness Instructor, a candidate must complete the training of Zumba® Basic Steps Level 1 certification from the Zumba® Academy.
I also feel you need to have a love of dance or fitness, enjoy exercising to music. Have a good memory for learning choreography. Enjoy teaching, inspiring and motivating people, be enthusiastic even when you don’t feel like it (we all have bad days) and able to build a following.
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to start his or her own classes?
Attend several different Zumba® Fitness classes, we all have our own style and method of delivering the class. Many teach in Fitness Centres or Gyms. See if you like the program, chat with the Instructor or go online to Zumba.com and read some more. Then find out about training.
- What three tips do you have for success?
Do your research, decide your audience to teach. There are different levels and programs of Zumba® Fitness. Have the passion.
- What did you do before you started this business?
I had a variety of interesting roles… After a year in Norway as a nanny and three years in London, I have always had office roles in, large Retail, Engineering, Environmental and Risk Assessment / Compliancy companies as Office Manageress.
- Do you speak any other languages?
- What did you want to be when growing up?
I wanted to be a ballet or tap dancer.
Aspirations and achievements
- If you ruled the world what changes would you make?
Reduce waste/pollution, educate and culturally change people’s mindset to have ownership of their own waste and behaviour, encourage understanding and kindness to each other.
- Who inspires you? Who you most admire in life?
I admire anyone who works hard to achieve his or her goals.
- Secret ambitions?
To be brave enough to sky dive.
- Biggest achievement?
My daughter, also my Graphic Design degree.
- If you could retire tomorrow, what would you do?
Travel more but still teach Zumba® Fitness.
- What would be your super power?
- What motivates you to get out of bed in the morning?
Life, there is so much to do.
- What do you do in your spare time or to relax?
Photography or paint.
- Do you have any pets?
- Do you keep fit?
- What was the last picture you took on your phone?
I take pictures on my phone all the time, mostly nature, in natural surroundings or curated.
- What was the last thing you bought?
- The last gift you gave someone?
Purchased locally, glass dish by Sophie Gregson
- The most famous person you have met?
I have been lucky enough to meet quite a few people when I worked in London. I guess the most famous was Princess Diana, and I spoke to David Beckham in Starbucks once.
- Where were you brought up? Derbyshire
- How would you best describe yourself in three words?
Creative, Loyal, Trustworthy
- Best compliment you have received?
I have a lovely smile.
- What makes you smile?
Being with family and friends, our cats and Teaching Zumba® Fitness.
- Which of the four seasons do you most love? or hate?
I love May through to the end of autumn, I don’t like the cold or dark nights.
Food & drink
- What are your favourite restaurants in Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme?
Gusto, Garam Masala, Piccolinos
- Best cafe spot in Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme?
I don’t get much time for sitting drinking coffee, but my favourites are.. The Damson Tree, The Board, Juniper, SK Eight, Notcutts.
- If we looked inside your fridge, what would we find?
Lots of fruit, cheese, homemade meals (ready to heat up) oh and maybe some wine.
- Do you enjoy cooking?
When I have time and baking too.
- Your favourite App?
Instagram, Snapseed, Shazam
- Your favourite quote?
Live the little things, because one day you will look back and realise they were the big things.
- Favourite movie?
- Favourite shop in Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme?
Daisies, Spreadboroughs, Home Bird, Pets Corner
*Zumba® Fitness is an exercise fitness program created by Colombian dancer and choreographer Alberto “Beto” Perez during the 1990s*